Monday, March 25, 2013

RnR Dallas Race Recap

My fourth half is in the books...and with a new PR!

We left for Dallas early Saturday morning, made it to the hotel, and took the DART to the Expo...Sarah, Josh, their two kids, Chad, our two kids and me. That's a lot of bodies to corral in a crowded place, but even the kids seemed to enjoy the expo. I was able to stop by the Team Refuel booth, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to time it to do some of the video fun.



After the expo, we headed to lunch and then Fair Park where we were planning on going to the museum. We didn't know it, however, but the museum we have loved going to is no longer there :( Luckily, the aquarium is still there, so that's where we went.  It was just about right for us. We headed back to the hotel, where we all ended up falling asleep before dinner (except SB). We had dinner at Boston's...a flatbread pizza for me...which, in hindsight, did not have enough protein for me before a race. I didn't sleep well at all that night and even had to get up at about 4:30 to eat a granola bar...I was so hungry!

I got up a little after 6 to start getting ready. I still wasn't sure about what to wear...windy and cold is hard to plan, especially when you can't step outside to see just what it feels like. I ended up in pants, compression sleeves, my Team Refuel jersey, arm warmers, my BondiBand hat with the ponytail hole and gloves. That ended up being just about right. The only thing I would have added is a sweatshirt or jacket I could have tossed after a mile or two.



Sarah and I had sandwich thins, PB and bananas for breakfast before the race in the hotel lobby. We took the DART to the start line. We weren't in a real rush because it was so cold. We ended up getting there, waiting for the portapotty and walking to our corral right as it was being released for the start (not at the start line, but just starting to move). Couldn't have timed it better..no waiting in the cold for us! The dads and kids stayed at the hotel...it was just too cold (and early!) for them.

The race went really well. We took off at a decent pace, not able to feel our hands or feet. It was pretty crowded, but we really didn't have any trouble staying together. I can't tell you much about the race...it's all a blur. I do know it was uphill to mile 8, but not horribly so. There were a couple of tough hills, but Sarah and I charged up them like troopers. I do remember some good music along the way...Jessie's Girl, 867-5309, Pour Some Sugar On Me...lots of fun! She and I took turns giving the pep talks. There were times she wanted to talk about pace or possible finishing times, but I just couldn't do it...I get jumpy at the pressure of what I might be capable of.

I did meet up with one other Team Refuel member, David, twice on the course. It was cool to have that instant camaraderie with another runner.

We saw the husbands and kids at the last little turn...such a pick-me-up! I wish I had a picture of them cheering for us! At the very end, Sarah pulled away from me. I just didn't think I had it in me. However, I saw the finish line and knew I wanted to cross it with her...so I did! It took everything I had to give it that last little bit. It rocked to cross the line knowing I had a big PR. It turns out I cut 8 minutes exactly off my old one...finishing in 2:07:52.



While we were still in the finisher's chute, I was able to stop at the Team Refuel tent for a quick photo op. I felt like a Nascar driver with the sponsored drink...now that's a picture I need...me guzzling the chocolate milk like a driver with his Coke. After that we got our chocolate milk (which never tasted so good!), water, snacks and space blankets before finding the family. It was so cold afterward that we really couldn't stick around to see what all was there...I didn't even have a chance to stop by the Team Refuel VIP tent. That's just part of being a mother runner :)



We headed back to the hotel on the DART for a much-needed shower and fuel. On the way home, we stopped for burgers and fries at Twisted Root.

I am exhausted and sore, but nothing really hurts. There's one spot on my right foot...the knuckle below my big toe...that hurts. I'll ice it tonight and see what happens. I have a feeling it's a tendon or something.

All in all, I am so proud of Sarah for her first half...and so proud of my new PR! I couldn't ask for a better support crew, the ones that were there and the ones I knew were thinking of me at home.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Sounds like a very exciting race...BIG PR and the excitement of running as part of Team Refuel! Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete