Monday, October 22, 2012

Another review/preview

This past week was another busy usual. The weekend was no exception. Friday night we went to a local high school football game. Saturday morning, I got up early (read: dark) and met my sister for our last long run before our half. It was a really good run! My legs felt fresh and strong. We kept the pace much faster than my usual long run (avg. pace of 10:45).

After I got home, I tried not to make the same mistakes as last week. Instead of sitting still, stretching and taking a hot shower first thing, I kept going, getting things ready for our camping trip. I have to say, I wasn't sore, so maybe that is the key.

Once Chad got home from his umpire board meeting, we took off for a nearby lake. It's nothing fancy, but it gets us away from home quickly. Once there, we set up and had some sandwiches for lunch. That afternoon we went for a hike. The kids only complained a little...progress! They did really like climbing the stone steps on a hill and going down the grassy other side. We also drove across the spillway, just to see what all was out there. I'm not sure I've ever been that direction.

That evening, we had a new I'll be keeping on the camping menu. We're calling them cheesy beefy sandwiches, another Pinterest find.

wolf pack specials

I had done the prep work on cooking the meat at home, so these were so simple and filling. SB even had the leftovers on her breakfast burrito the next morning.

Most of the time I'm against watching TV while camping. However, that night, we sat out under the stars and watched ET. The kids had never seen it, and I don't think Chad and I had seen it since it came out. It was like our own little drive-in, complete with s'mores for a snack.

Sunday morning, after "rescuing" the huge walking stick on the awning of our camper, we had breakfast burritos and then went for a small hike around a nature interpretative trail. The kids loved looking at the map and finding the next station. Then we drove around to the other side of the lake. At one of the boat ramp areas, we saw these big white birds flying in formation. They flew right over us. It was pretty they were in slow motion going against the wind.

We couldn't stay too long, so we packed up and headed home to get ready for dinner that night.

It may have been a short trip, but it's just what I needed to recharge. I was able to get a lot done Sunday afternoon at home after having that kind of mental break. Much needed!

This week is another busy one. After this morning's 4 miles, I have just one run left before Saturday's half. Chad and I are going, just the two of  us, to Dallas for the race. We can't stay long there either...have to get back for our church's Trunk N Treat that night.

I can't believe the half is this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I can't wait to hear about how the race goes! Remember to have fun!!! You may not be able to stay long, but don't come back so "rushed" that you miss the benefit of a brief trip! xoxo