Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ugh

Tomorrow morning will mark one week since my last run. This stinks. I woke up Monday morning and this morning with the idea that I might...but then sleep won out. And with the way I'm feeling, it's probably a good thing I didn't. I'm still going to give it a try again in the morning, at least a couple of miles. I'm afraid that the chest congestion and cough won't be a good running accessory, but I need the run. On a positive note, all this coughing might be a better ab workout than anything else I'm doing.



We're watching The Biggest Loser finale right now. What an inspiration! Makes me want to workout now. I won't though. For one, I'm tired and had a long meeting followed by a choir concert at school. For two (is that a saying at all?), I'm coughing my head off and can't breathe.



You know, watching the show does show me and all of America just what kind of situation we're putting ourselves in on a daily basis. We have so many easy, unhealthy choices available so readily...and the healthy choices aren't the easy, popular, least expensive choices, so we don't make them.



This is one thing I really feel strongly about. We have to teach the next generation how to make healthy choices in all aspects of their lives...from food, exercise, relationships, education, occupation, recreation...it all fits together.



That's one reason I really want to start a group for girls (at least for now) to teach them these skills. So many families are so busy today that the healthy choices go by the wayside for the easy, fast ones...and I can totally relate. Whether it's a working mom and dad or a single mom trying to make ends meet (or one of a hundred other difficult situations), we're busy people trying to do the best we can with what we've got.



I know I can't change that part. But I can change the habits we teach our young women and girls. The need to know that they choices they make related to their health, whether physical, mental or spiritual, have lasting impact.



I'm working on a plan to implement this type of program in my junior high school...and maybe it will work...and even catch on. It all connects to my running. I'd love for girls to love to run, but I also want it to be more than that...for them to learn to love themselves and the choices they make.



Ok...enough of the deep thoughts for tonight. I'll end with 8 healthy choices I can make tomorrow, whether I'm able to run or not:
1. Drink enough water.
2. Stretch.
3. Take my vitamins...that's a topic for another day.
4. Eat fruit.
5. Eat vegetables.
6. Reduce my sugar intake.
7. Get to bed on time.
8. Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment