Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, Monday...

This was posted on one of my favorite Facebook pages, Run Like a Mother The Book: "When we run we are showing our children, teaching without words, that we value ourselves, our hearts, our fitness, our health, our friendships, our clarity, and our balance." (a quote from Kristin Armstrong in Mile Markers).

I just love this concept. I hope that I am teaching these values to my kids through my running and healthy choices. I hope that they are learning more than the actual love for running. What I mean is that I hope they see my running as something I do because I love it and because it makes me happy and because I want to be healthy and strong...and that they will find something that does the same for them.

I didn't sleep well last night and was visited by both kids at some point last night...and they both ended up asleep in our room by morning. I was already struggling with sleep due to allergies (or maybe it's another sinus infection). So when the alarm went off at 4:30, I really debated on whether or not a run or the extra hour of sleep would be more beneficial. I knew, though, that if I didn't run then, I wouldn't be able to make up that run. So I ran. I checked my training plan to see what I should do and was surprised to see 5 miles on tap. 5 miles. Before school. There was a day when that would have seemed (and probably would have been) impossible. But I did it! And surprisingly, my sinus issues left me alone while I was running. I took it easy since I ran 6 on Saturday. It felt pretty good after I passed the halfway point. Up to then, I wasn't sure I'd make 5.

Running is such a mental thing. I know this. I've seen it in action. But it continues to surprise me.

I'm working on eating better again. I've been eating a lot of stuff I shouldn't. I did well today...until I got home. Then I ate the last two mini-chocolate donuts and a couple of Reece's eggs from Easter. Why do I do this to myself?! It's time to get back on track! I've got to figure out the afternoon binge. I even had a V8 Fusion (light) after school with some cranberry/almond/sunflower seed/pumpkin seed trail mix...and still ate the junk. I get home and see so much to do and start picking up clutter and cleaning up and I reach for sugar. Which would explain why the scale isn't going in the right direction. I really want to drop these last few stubborn pounds.

I know that I probably need to add some cross-training or some weight training to boost my metabolism. That is my plan for this summer. Maybe I can get into the habit of it then. I noticed a new class at the Y called Cardio Kick that supposed to mix cardio and kickboxing. I loved kickboxing and working out on a punching bag back in college. I even have a gift card for a punching bag for the garage, but since we haven't made room yet, I haven't gotten it. I can't wait until we do! I'll definitely need a bigger fan out in the garage then! It's so hot out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment