Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mind Over Matter

I had it in my head before I went to bed last night that this morning's run would be a hard one, and I held to it. My training plan called for 3x1600. I did my repeats in 9:06, 8:35, and 8:05! I knew I hadn't been pushing myself as much as I could have, so I decided to see how much I could. I realized after my last mile repeat that I could easily finish a 10k in under an hour and meet that elusive sub-60 I've been after, but I didn't want to push too hard this close to the half.

It's amazing the power your mind has over your body. It makes me wonder how much more I can do. It also reinforces the idea that it's all connected...the mind, body and spirit. When my mind is in the right place, my body can do so much more.

Of course, there is some truth in the idea of "don't think, just run" idea I've seen touted on the Another Mother Runner blog. Sometimes, it's best to just shut off the never-ending thought train and let your body do what it can.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great thing to remember! I need to remember that my mind rules my body...not the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that got me through a 10k once was something I'd heard on The Biggest Loser...your feet will move if your mind tells them to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Christy! Our minds definitely have an effect over our running- positive or negative.

    ReplyDelete