Monday, September 24, 2012

Worth

How is it that the pile of dishes glaring up at me as I left the house this morning could make me feel so inadequate? I'm finding that it's not a problem limited to me. Women in general allow themselves to build up expectations no person could fulfill. Instead of celebrating what we do, or what we can do, or what we have done, we look at what hasn't been done, what we don't do well, and what we aren't.

I'm just as guilty of this as the woman next to me, frantically juggling kids, work, health, fitness, church...and the list goes on.

I do this when it comes to my role as a mom and worry that I don't do enough with my kids. I do this in my role as a friend and am afraid I don't reach out enough. I do this with my running and point out my slowness. I do this with my role as a homemaker and see all the unfinished projects.

I know I shouldn't focus on these things. Just this morning, I did laundry, started dinner in the crockpot, dressed two kids, sat down and had breakfast with them, and still made it to work on time. I got most of my papers graded. I ran 6.5 miles this weekend at a 10:43 pace. I was able to do what I love doing most, encouraging others, this weekend. I have been reading my Bible daily and doing a devotional each night.

Instead, we should celebrate who we are, who God made us to be. We are powerful. We are strong. We are wise. We are organized. We are loving. We are nurturing. We are helpers. We are beautiful.

It's about time we as women supported each other in all that we are and do. And it's time we gave ourselves the credit we deserve. Let's face it...we do so much and never celebrate it!

What are you celebrating today?

1 comment:

  1. A good reminder. I'm definitely guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete