Monday, November 4, 2013

Yikes!

So I am way, way, way behind on blogging...but it's as good as time as any to jump back in.

It's official. I am training for my first (and likely only) marathon. It is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I decided to do The Duel since it is a local winter race. I figure being able to sleep in my own bed the night before and take an ice bath in my own tub after makes it worth it.

This past weekend, I ran the Run with Lois 5k with my parents. It was a small town race in memory of Lois Luig who was stuck by a truck and killed while running last year. It was my mom's first race back from injury, and I was so glad to get to be there.

It was a brisk morning...Mom and I had the toughest time figuring out what to wear. We ended up in tights and long sleeves, ditching her wind pants and jacket before we ran. I wore tights, a tank, arm warmers and gloves, ditching a top jacket at the start line.  The course was an out and back up and down some hilly country roads. We managed 3.1 in 28:40, but the course was long so we ended up doing almost 3.4. Mom took third in her AG, and Dad took second in his. So proud of them!




As soon as I finished I dumped my gloves and headed back out on the course. Since it was a run/walk, I knew I'd be ok running on the course again. I made it to the top of the last hill before I turned around. I wasn't thinking too clearly though...I turned around because there weren't any walkers left, not realizing that I'd be passing them on the way back in. Still, I ended up doing a 10k in right at an hour.

But I wasn't done yet. After waiting for medals and door prizes (got to love small races), I headed home to finish up my long run. The drive home gave me time to eat a granola bar in addition to the banana I had after I finished running.  It also gave my legs time to get heavy and twitchy and for my body to get that post-run sleepiness.

But, after a quick "chat" with my legs, we headed out again. Those first two miles were super hard, and I really wished I had fit in a mile or two before the race or another one after. But, I made it. I ran 12 miles!

It probably wasn't the best way to do a long run, and it definitely wants easy, but it felt good overall.

1 comment:

  1. I did 16 once with a 1/2 marathon as part of my run. I think I did about 1.5 before and 1.5 after. The people at the finish thought I was NUTS. Got some odd looks, but it got done!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete