Thursday, November 24, 2011

Putting some thought into it

Similar to yesterday's post about mind over matter when it comes to speed, I think eating healthy has a lot to do with my mind as well. When I plan ahead, both meals and snacks, I do better. When I make conscious choices, I'm happier with what I eat. Today is Thanksgiving and so much of this holiday has to do with food. It is all about being thankful, and I've chosen to focus on that.

When it comes to the food, though, I had some choices to make. We have had three Thanksgiving meals since Sunday (and one more of leftovers). Yes, I had a little of everything...but the key was just a little. I chose my favorites and ate small portions of those. I tried to make sure and have a regular portion of protein. I also made better choices in the meals around these big ones. I rook my little buddy to McDonalds in a rare mommy-son day yesterday, and even though a burger, Coke and fries sounded awesome, I stuck with the better choices of a grilled chicken snack wrap and a yogurt parfait, knowing I had a big dinner planned at my parents. I did have some cake balls there (so worth it!) and rolls. I didn't feel deprived, but I also didn't derail my eating.

I made some dill dip with Greek yogurt and snacked on it with pretzel sticks and pepper slices before dinner so I had a healthy start on dinner and wasn't famished when I got there.

Today, I had oatmeal for breakfast knowing we had a big lunch. I made sure to take a side of roasted veggies so I'd have a healthy option. I filled a third or more of my plate with those veggies and a fresh fruit salad with no sauce or drsssing. Ham took up another quarter of my plate. The last bit of my plate was filled with small samples of a few (not all) of the casseroles available. I had one piece of pumpkin roll for dessert and that left me full but not over stuffed.

And tonight for dinner we had sandwiches at the in-law's. It's amazing how our minds "eat" first. I piled my sandwich with spinach, cucumbers, tomato, peppers...and then a little ham and cheese. Completely satisfying...no mayo or chips needed.

Overall, it's all about wrapping my head around better choices and how I ultimately want to feel about the choices I make. I'm seeing improvement in my fitness, speed, and even my weight...which of course, leads to improvement in my confidence and happiness. Those are things I'm not willing to sacrifice for a plate of food.

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you! I need to do better about watching what I eat. I REALLY need to focus on hydrating better during the day.

    ReplyDelete