Thursday, April 5, 2012

Three Thing Thursday

I realize I could hold off on these for the Try It Tuesday posts, but I just gotta share three things in the food-ish category that are making me smile these days...

1. I'm late to the game once again, but after seeing a recipe for a "green monster," a healthy smoothie credited to Angela of Oh, She Glows, on Skinny Taste, my new favorite place to find ideas and recipes, I figured I should try one as a way to beat my afternoon munchies. The idea was that if I had a healthy snack planned, I could avoid all the junk I have been eating here lately. So, yesterday after school, I planned to make me one of these green monsters, but by the time I got home I really didn't want to mess with making it. However, my daughter, without her knowing I had planned it, asked for a smoothie for a snack. I made her a banana/blueberry one with almond milk, and I made Ryan one with regular milk, bananas and chocolate. Then, I gave the Green Monster a try. I have to say, I was a little leery. But I threw in a half of a frozen banana (the other half of the one I used in yesterday's overnight oats that I stuck in the freezer with this in mind), about a half cup of blueberries, a half tablespoon of chia seeds, a big handful of fresh spinach, a squeeze of honey, a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a couple of ice cubes in my Magic Bullet and blended away. It turned out a dark purple, almost black, color...and it was delicious! You couldn't even taste the spinach. I'm convinced.

2. Yesterday I mentioned that I had another idea for overnight oats, and I tried it this morning. I made Vanilla Spiced Chai Overnight Oats with apple. Last night I put a half cup of rolled oats, a quarter cup of chai mix (the liquid stuff), a quarter cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a half tablespoon of chia seeds and a half of an apple chopped up into the fridge. This morning, I had to add a little water to thin it out a little, but after a minute in the microwave, breakfast was quick, easy, delicious and filling.

3. And then there's this...
Iced coffee without any work on my part. Once summer rolls around and I have a little extra time, I'll make Pioneer Woman's Iced Coffee because it's cheap and sooooo good (especially if you add a little sweetened condensed milk to it...and yes, I know that it isn't healthy). But right now, when things are this hectic, it's nice to know this is waiting for me in the fridge. I have the vanilla flavor and add a little milk because it's pretty sweet. It's a treat, I know, but it puts a smile on my face.

2 comments:

  1. You've got me convinced on the smoothie. I really need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I just started surfing the Skinny Taste blog. I'm so hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete