Saturday, August 4, 2012

Looking Back

Two years ago on the first day of school


(This is another post in Fitness Cheerleader's challenge.)

Two years ago doesn't seem like that long ago. Or maybe it seems like forever ago. Depends on how you look at it.

Two years ago, my kids had just turned 5 and 3. My daughter was getting ready to start kindergarten, and my son was getting glasses for the first time.

Two years ago, I was starting an 8-week training plan to run my second 10K, where my goal was to not walk.

Two years ago, I was suprised that I got up on a Saturday morning at 6:30 to run 4 miles, and was impressed with myself when I didn't walk.

Two years ago, we were getting ready to ride a 10K in the Hotter N Hell as a family.

Two years ago, I was fundraising for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure that fall in honor of my mother-in-law.

A lot has happened in two years.

My kids are now 7 and 5, and my son will be starting kindergarten this year. They both wear glasses now.

I've run lots of races in the past two years...and I finally ran a sub-60 10K. I've broken 30 in a 5K. I've run with my husband and kids. I've run with my best friend. I've run with my siblings. I've run alone.

I've run two half marathons since then. I've gotten up countless weekend mornings early to run. I've worked up to running about 5 miles comfortably on a regular basis (although I'm not sure how things will go...I haven't been able to run since surgery because of my foot hurting).

I've even ridden 25 miles with my hubby in the HHH.

So how have I changed? I think I'm stronger, emotionally and physically. I'd like to think I've relaxed a little and learned to go with the flow more often. I make time for me when I need it. I listen to my body instead of pushing it beyond what it needs at that moment. I eat better and have learned to love a lot of new healthy foods.

It's nice to reflect every once in a while. So many times we think about where we'd like to be and feel we don't measure up to our goals or ideals instead of focusing on where we've come from and the journey that has gotten us to where we are. That's part of why I blog. I need that reminder that 4 miles used to be the goal, not the norm or that I've been through injuries or slumps and made it through them just fine.
strongmindstrongermuscles:

notadietalifechange:

needed to see this

^

1 comment: