Thursday, September 23, 2010

Getting nervous

So when I walk in my classroom tomorrow, I'll walk up to the board and change my race countdown to "1 day until Mrs. J's next 10K." And then I'll have a panic attack. I don't know why I get so nervous about races...and continue to race. It's not like I'm really that competitive, as in I never place. I just want to be there. And do well. For me.

I am trying to remember a couple of things: 1. Trust the training. I've done what I can to prepare for this. 2. Face the fear. If all I'm afraid of is not doing well, then what do I have to lose if I go all out? That I might do well. That I might fail. Either way, it's not life-ending. Or even life-altering. I'll hit the treadmill next week just like I always do. 3. It's supposed to be fun. Besides, I'll be outside running! And my family will be there. :)

I wish I'd had enough time to figure out a couple of things about what I prefer and what I handle in the form of nutrition. I'm going to carry a water bottle and take my beans at each water station. I'll leave Gu to figure out later. I am going to have a mini Clif bar before I run, and maybe a banana if I can grab one. I'll drink my G2 post-run and have some fruit. I'm hoping that will work.

And I'm going to wear my iPod, but I'm not going to start with it on. I really think I get distracted by the music and quit listening to my body. I know that I can go on long runs without it and end up enjoying my run so much more (and I'm faster, to boot).

Our local Y is starting a running class. I wish it was at a time I could attend. Even though I've been running a while now, I'd love to see what they have to say about how to run. I wish they'd had something like this a year or so ago. I'm sure there's so much I should have learned early on.

I'm falling asleep as I type. I have had to get up at 4:40 to run this morning because of early morning duty at school. It's killing me. Just one more day though! But I'm still going to hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment