Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day to all you mother runners!

Happy Mother's Day! We are on the road again, this time on our way home via one more get together at my parents' house. My extended family on my dad's side of the family will all be there. It's supposed to be a hot one...over 100 degrees. So glad I got my run in yesterday when it was a relatively cool 65!

I am so blessed by all the moms in my life. My own mom is amazing! She has always been there for me and she has always encouraged me in all I have ever done, including running. She is also a runner and is totally inspiring. I hope that at 51, I can run as fast as she does now...because I'm not nearly as fast as she is! I love seeing her enjoy her life in such an active way. While watching her play in the yard with my kids, I realized that I hope that I will be able to do the same with my own grandkids someday.

My mother-in-law is a blessing to my life as well. Not only did she bring my husband into this world, but she is also my kids' caregiver. Having her watch over them during the day gives me peace because I know they are being watched by someone who loves them dearly.

My sister, the one who inspired me to lose weight two years ago, can be credited with starting this running thing. I'm so glad she was willing to spill her tips and hints and always provide a listening ear when I needed it and to offer her encouragement. She is a healthy, active mom-to-be this year!

I am also blessed by two beautiful sisters-in-law who are such good mommies to their kids!

I also have so many mommy friends in my life. Knowing I am surrounded by such a wealth of experience, love and support makes my own life as a mommy easier.

And to my friend Chandra...I am so glad you have joined this mother runner tribe! I hope it reminds you how strong you are, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. You are amazing, my friend!

I am blessed to be Momma to my two kids. They both enrich my life and challenge just about every part of me. I am a better person for it. I pray that they grow up knowing they are loved and cherished.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention those who are no longer here on this earth to celebrate today with us. I woke up thinking of my Gomie, my grandmother. I miss her terribly, but I feel blessed to have had her for the time that I did. She was and still is such a source of inspiration. I know that she still cheers us on and that we each carry a part of her with us wherever our feet journeys take us.

And that, I think, is what motherhood is...giving of ourselves for the betterment of others, so that someday, they will pass on that piece of us to others when they need it. So...happy Mother's Day to all of you! May you be proud of the job you are doing and know that you are making a difference!

2 comments:

  1. Love you, sis! I also thought about Nannaw yesterday. I wish she was here to see how her girls have grown.

    ReplyDelete