Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Choices

I'm working on making healthy nutritional choices these days. It's not easy. When I'm in school, I plan my meals, pack my lunch, make a snack ahead of time...but when I'm home for the summer, I can eat what I want anytime I want. Not good. Not good at all.

And I could beat myself up for the bad choices I make each day (M&M Blast, anyone?) or I can focus on the good choices I'm making and try to make more of those.

So...today's good choices:
1. I added red bell pepper and spinach to my turkey sandwich at luch...love it.
2. Instead of mayo (100 calories, 11 g fat) and a slice of cheese (50 calories, 2.5 g fat), I used Laughing Cow Light Mozzarella and Sundried Tomato cheese (35 calories, 2 g fat)...a savings of 115 calories and 11.5 g of fat
3. The kids and I made a fruit salad using fruit we had on hand for a side for lunch (with leftovers for juice pops for tomorrow and a side for dinner)...peaches, plums, apples, pears, grapes and bananas...yummy! And I didn't have chips since I had the fruit salad.
4. I added bell peppers and mushrooms to the sausage I cooked for dinner.
5. I added onions, mushrooms, tomato and spinach to the couscous for tonight's side dish. I'm loving this stuff! I did add some parmesan and Light Italian dressing, but it takes so little of it to add such a good flavor.

So, while there were some unhealthy choices sprinkled throughout the day, I'm working on making some good ones too.

One thing I'm looking into trying is chia seeds. They are supposed to be good for lots of things...weight loss being one of them. However, they are also supposed to help with hydration and are a good source of fiber, calcium protein, and omega 3 fatty acids. Supposedly, they can really help with energy levels during a run. Some of the things I've ready say that chia seeds can also lower cholesterol, and since I haven't been taking my meds, that might be a good alternative.

I had planned on doing a core challenge workout tonight, but yesterday's yard raking left me with a really painful right tricep today. I think I'll hold off until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how the chia seeds go. I've never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete