Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Try It Tuesday

Chickpeas...garbanzo beans...whatever you want to call them. I've read lots of recipes with them, but really haven't ever tried them. This Try It Tuesday is two-fold.

First, I tried cooking dried chickpeas (can you say cheap?!) in the crockpot. It worked! I soaked the dried chickpeas during the day. When I got home from school, I rinsed them and put them in the crockpot with fresh water on high for 3 hours or so. Then I drained them and stuck them in the fridge. Frankly, they were pretty good as is to snack on. I've frozen a few bags of them from that batch. The bag of dried chickpeas made the equivalent of 4 cans of beans.

For the second part, I took one can's worth and roasted them. It was definitely an experiment and didn't work the way the the recipe said. I roasted them on 400 for about 40 minutes, tossed them with 2 tsp. oil, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt. They weren't very crunchy and still had that bean texture. So I stuck them back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. The ones that were only halves turned out really good...crunchy, almost airy. The whole ones just didn't seem to want to dry out.

Overall, I'd do it again. It just might take a little trial and error to get it just right.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I don't think I would have thought about roasting with cinnamon/brown sugar. I bet the un-roasted ones would be good on salads. Or you could toss some with garlic powder and oil and roast them and use them in place of croutons on salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I actually prefer the plain un-roasted ones better...I would grab a few from the fridge for a quick bite.

    ReplyDelete