Monday, February 4, 2013

Double Digits, baby!

Woohoo! I feel like I'm finally back! Last week was a rough one, and Friday was no exception...really, it was just icing on the cake...and not in a good way. Problems with one kid (as in one of my own darlings, not the ones I teach) at school, long meetings, work stress, and just feeling yucky really took its toll. That's probably when I needed a run most, but I could not make myself get up early for a cold run Saturday. Besides, I had someplace to be by 10:30, and my hubby had a meeting at 9. I really wasn't sure when I was going to run. We ended up going to a do rib joint for a late lunch with friends (much needed!). And then I decided to run. I knew Sunday morning wasn't looking likely with early church and then serving at church for the second service. Granted, running on a full tummy for an afternoon run (not my usual thing at all) was probably not the best idea, but I'm so glad I got out there!

I ended up running 8 last week and knew I really wanted to run 10 this week. I headed out, clicking off the miles by telling myself what percent was done...1 mile, 10% done, 2 miles, 20% done, etc. I was on my own since my sister couldn't join me at this oddball time. I also told myself I had to run faster than the sun was setting. I just barely made that one. It was nice and warm though, around 65...ended up a little pink on my arms. Crazy that it's February!

When my Garmin showed 10 miles in 1:39:01, I can't tell you how big the smile on my face was! Not only did I run the 10 miles, but I ran them faster than any long run ever. Average pace was 9:54, with my last mile clocking in the fastest at 9:21. Man, did that feel good!

I'm using the first 5 miles of the run as my 5 by the 5th hosted by Mommy Run Fast. I love virtual races, and a series that keeps me moving each month is even better!

There's a half here in my town March 2, and I could so be ready for that...except I have to be out of town for work that day. Boo! However, I got some great news last week! As a Refuel with Chocolate Milk alum, I will be running the Rock N Roll Half in Dallas at the end of March as part of Team Refuel! I am so stinkin' excited! This will be my fourth half. I ran the RnR Dallas as my first half two years ago, and I'm excited to be going back.

I woke up Sunday to a little pain in my right foot...the same PF pain I've had off and on for a while now. I wrapped it Sunday for most of the morning. I've worked on stretching it. And then last night, I went and got some KT tape. I've never used the stuff. I'm not sure I've got it wrapped right, but it's feeling pretty good, and I was able to run an "easy" 3.5 this morning.

I've debated on going the full mary this spring, but it just doesn't look feasible right now. My husband's work has picked up, he umpires in the spring, and both kids are playing ball this season. I really should have planned ahead and trained through the winter to do the marathon that was here in town in January. Live and learn, right?

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you! Sounds like you had a great run! We'll find a race together eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Houston too?? Congrats on your awesome 10 miler- what a great confidence booster! Running in the afternoon is so hard for me, it's definitely my most sluggish time of day. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in Houston, but I'm in Texas...north central Texas. :)

      Delete