Saturday, August 7, 2010

Week 1 Down

Week 1 of 10K training is done, and I didn't skip a workout at all! My workouts this week looked like this:
Monday-3 miles
Tuesday-cross train (bike)
Wednesday-tempo run (3 miles)
Thursday-strength train
Friday-3 miles
Saturday-4 miles
Sunday--a much anticipated rest day!

My run this morning was aweseome. Yes, I got up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning to run, but I was rewarded in so many ways for my effort. First, it wasn't too hot. Second, the sunrise was beautiful. Third, the breeze was nice. And fourth, when I saw that I had a mile to go, my thoughts weren't "Are you kidding me? I can't do this." Instead, they were "Awesome! I can do this!" And I actually ran faster! In fact, when I hit 4 miles, I still had my legs, so I ran to the end of the block for a total of 4.25 miles. Felt amazing.

I love that last stretch of my run. It's not always my last stretch I guess, but most days it is. It's about a 1/4 mile of straight residential street, shady, with some cute houses. It slopes downward very gradually and there always seems to be a breeze blowing up that street. The stop sign at the end is always my goal.

I just feel amazing after my run. I didn't walk at all. I had planned on walking at 2 miles, but felt good so I kept going. I didn't go fast, that's for sure. But I kept going. I am going to be doing some good stretching this afternoon to keep the soreness away...probably a little Icy Hot and foam rolling, but it's not pain.

I am looking forward to a day of rest. I have a feeling I will want to do something tomorrow, but stretching (and maybe some ab work) is all I'm going to do. I didn't used to mind a day off, but here lately I find myself wanting to go for a run in the afternoon even when I ran in the morning.

This week's plan looks like this, I think (I'd have to look for sure):
Monday-3.5 miles
Tuesday-cross train/strength train
Wednesday-speed work (on the track...I haven't done that in 13 years or so)
Thursday-strength train
Friday-3 miles
Saturday-4.5 miles

Should be interesting, especially with me headed in inservice on Thursday and Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment