Thursday, September 9, 2010

Looking back

It dawned on me that I've never written about my personal journey into running, and I thought it might be good to have a record of this.

May '09 My family participates in our church's Run for the Son. We aren't even able to finish a 5K walking and cut off part of the course. Ok, maybe I should back up farther.

I ran cross country and track in high school. I was never a star athlete, but I enjoyed running...mainly because it wasn't a team sport and not everyone did it. I've always like doing something everyone else isn't. But...I didn't keep up with my running after high school (some 13 years ago!).

Alright, back to May '09...knowing I could run those distances before and at one time in my life had been in great shape made not being able to complete 3 miles for a charity event an embarrassment to me. Plus, I was turning the big 3-0 in just a few short months. And on top of that, I'd kept and gained some 30 pounds after baby #2 in '07. It was time for a change.

That next week, I started a walk/run routine 3 days a week at 5 in the morning (or maybe it was 5:30...see, I won't remember these things if I don't write them down...but then again, does it really matter?). I'd walk the short sides of the sidewalk around the park/school across from our house. It's about .75 miles all together. I'd jog the longer sides. I'd make only one lap each day that first week.

I slowly bumped it up to two laps, then three, then more running. I was really enjoying being outside (even if it was seriously dark).

July '09 I did something I probably shouldn't have. I ran two 5K races in two weeks time...and remember, I'd only started running in May. I ran a July 4 run with my sister. I had to walk some of it, but I finished. It was a small race for an area town church. Then I ran what I called 3 miles at 30 in the same small town, and unfortunately, the race was the same straight out and back course...and it was HOT! It was a tiny race...as in maybe a dozen people. Not great for pushing yourself, but my sister pushed me. I walked as little as possible. And I finished.




Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure these back-to-back races when I probably wasn't ready caused some ITB issues to flare up. Well, that and the fact that I did my running on a sidewalk. I was sidelined for a while, off and on throughout the fall.

October 09 I completed the Race for the Cure 5K, but I had to walk a lot of it too...and not happily. My whole family participated in that race...mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, sister, and brother-in-law. Very cool!



Fall 09 Due to ongoing hip/ITB issues and the fact that it is seriously dark when I needed to run, my running was limited. I had one morning where I passed a guy wearing a dark trench coat at 5 a.m...and was too freaked out to run again outside that early. Still am.

Winter 09 I inherited a treadmill...which promptly broke the day after I ran on it for the first time. But not too much later, and I was able to swap around and get another. And I ran on it a couple of times a week at dark thirty. It's not my favorite, but it's running.

March 09 The family runs a 5K in Ardmore (the A2A) for my Mom's 50th birthday...her 5K at 50! It was cold! I ran a good race...30:35!



April 17 The family was signed up to run the Casa 5K in town. However, it was POURING rain that day! My dear hubby, my daddy, and I ran the race while my mom, sister and kids hung out in the car. It was sopping wet on the course, and of course, I had on a hoodie...which absorbed water like a sponge. Still, I managed to finish is 32:03. I had wanted to beat my A2A time, but the rain prevented that.

May 31 Mom, Carrie and I completed a 10K at the America Heroes race in Arlington, right in front of the Ballpark, while Dad did a 5K. We stayed the night before and my kids and hubby were there to cheer us on. I finished in 1:12:59. It was a really HOT day and a wild course, starting and ending with an overpass. It was awesome to complete this new distance!



Summer 10 I didn't get back on track running as much as I wanted to over the summer, but I was able to run outside which is such a lift in my spirits. I actually didn't do any races over the summer. We did, however, ride a 10K in the HHH with the family...pulling the kids in trailers. It turned out to be a beautiful day and ride!



And that's how I got to where I am today. I have three races planned in the next month...crazy I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment