Sunday, September 26, 2010

Observations from a third party

I forgot to mention this yesterday. While we were eating at Rosa's post-race, my parents offered some observations about my running that I found interesting. Now, most people would question observations about running from their parents, but not me...nope. My parents both run faster than me. They've got this training thing down a lot better than I do. I realize that they are in a different stage of life and have a little more time to devote to strength training and such, but they have valuable insights because they are still working and fitting in the workouts. I trust what they see. So, here's what they had to say:
1. I'm not "bouncing" as a I run as much as I used to. Mom said she had no pictures of me with a foot on the ground from previous races.
2. I'm not wasting side-to-side energy as much either. Dad said he used to watch for my ponytail swinging from side to side to recognize me coming.
3. I am still having an issue with my left leg. Dad's noticed this for a while now...I remember him asking about it after one of my first races (back before they were even running, I think). He said my left leg goes back, out and then foward, so it's making a loop. That could explain my ITB issues. But they haven't been bothering me for a while, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of compensation.

I would love to have a pro watch my form and give me some pointers, but I don't have a clue how I'd go about finding this pro. I can't afford a personal trainer, and even if I could, I'd want one that specialized in running. Hmm...something to think about.

And I didn't run with my iPod yesterday. It was pouring out before the race, and I wasn't sure how waterproof it would be. And I loved it! I seem to focus more without the music and am less distracted. It was great!

I got to think about a lot of things out on the course. I kept telling myself something I heard on The Biggest Loser this week..."Your feet will move if your mind tells them to." I loved this and used it many, many times yesterday. Of course, I also had to laugh when one of my favorite phrases took on a new meaning..."Just keep swimming, swimming." Some of the puddles were big enough to swim in, I'm pretty sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment