Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Back burner

Things have been super busy this spring, and my mind has been super cluttered (but at least it matches my house). Some things have just had to give...and sadly, one of those things is my blog...and now running. Both of these are outlets for me, but they are all I have left to give up at this point. I've had multiple people tell me to give myself a break from running, so I finally caved in. I haven't run since Saturday's race. That means an extra hour of sleep a couple of mornings this week...although my body didn't get the memo.

I'm giving myself a Mother's Day gift tomorrow. I took the day off so I can go to a Mother's Day tea at my son's preschool. I'm also going to use the day to give myself a clean house and some time in the kitchen making some of my favorite things (breakfast cookies and iced coffee, anyone). Of course, I also have to do a jillion other tasks, but at least I'll have some time to do it (like I'm going to finish the list I have going).

This weekend is busy, busy with a Mother's Day family fun run and brunch, per my Mom's request (and I'm thrilled about!), on Saturday. Then Sunday, I'm guessing (real organized, let me tell you) we will have lunch to honor my 95-year-old Granny and dinner with my in-laws. That leaves very little time for anything else, so tomorrow is it for me (even though I can not for the life of me figure out a way to squeeze in a run...and yes, I realize I said I was taking a break from it, but it is hard to resist an outdoor run when we are having cooler temps).

I really do enjoy hosting and organizing events, so I am looking forward to this weekend's fun run and brunch. We even have "race" shirts and swag bags for the kids. I'm making an oatmeal bar and a yogurt bar for after the run, and we will have fruit, breakfast casserole, and other breakfast goodies.

What I started this post to even say was that in pushing my blog to the back burner, I totally neglected to celebrate my third runniversary May 2. It's hard to believe that I've been running for three years. It has truly been life-changing, but just like anything, it has had its ups and downs. Right now might be one of the downs, but that just means I know there will be an up. It's still not something I want to give up. Maybe it's fitting that my runniversary is also the anniversary of my husband's proposal to me...another life-changing event that I wouldn't trade for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment