Monday, June 25, 2012

A week in review

What I've Been Up To
This past week, I decided to get my health back on track. I started using My Fitness Pal on Monday to track my calories and exercise. I spent the first part of the summer eating every time I got frustrated with the kids or overwhelmed with my never-ending to-do list (which means I was snacking just about all the time). And unfortunately, I wasn't choosing healthy foods...not at all. So I gained those pesky few pounds back.

This week decided to throw me a few curveballs. First, my gallbladder decided it wanted to try and kill me. Well, I'm assuming it's my gallbladder. I have scan Wednesday to find out (and wouldn't you know it? It's not hurting a bit this week!). I was in considerable pain last weekend, to the point of wondering if I should go to the ER. The pain continued off and on all week, up until this Saturday. And then it stopped. Hallelujah!

Of course, eating better all week may have helped that a bit. I'm just hoping it doesn't backfire on me and render this upcoming test pointless. I was out of town for most of the week, in San Antonio for a conference. I wish I could say I'd been there for fun. My friend and I had grand plans of running one night and even using the city's B-Cycle program to bike one night...until we realized we weren't in a neighborhood where those kinds of things would be wise choices. We did venture to the hotel's fitness closet room. It was awful! An elliptical and a treadmill side by side facing the far wall (a full mirror). There were free weights...a pair of 10, 15, and 20 pounds weights. And that was it. It was hot and tiny and a little scary because the screen on the treadmill blocked your view of the door right behind the treadmill. That was the end of our workouts for the rest of our stay. Luckily though, our hotel had breakfast and I was able to make good choices then.

My kids were with my parents all week, so I was able to get out for a run on Friday after getting home Thursday night. It was hot and humid, but it was a run. And then I ran yesterday with my sister, finally making it to five miles after trying to do that for the past couple of weeks. And I ran again today because I knew I wouldn't be able to run tomorrow or Wednesday. The scale didn't disappoint this morning, showing a three-pound loss. Again, I know most of that is my fluff weight, those few pounds that go up and down all the time. But, I have been eating so much better!

Last Week's Mileage
Weekly: 11.7 miles
YTD: 317ish

This Week's Challenge
I'm going to take my cue from the Run With Jess weight-loss challenge and use her weekly challenge for mine (at least this week). This week's challenge is to drink enough water. Temps have shot up for us this week, and we're headed to an amusement park tomorrow...making this challenge even more important.

Do whatever it takes to drink enough for you. Mark a bottle with times so you know if you're on track to drink enough, schedule time to drink a bottle, carry it with you, flavor it...whatever works for you.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're not in pain anymore! Eat more smoothies! I am so happy you introduced me to the "green monster"! I don't know if I feel better because I'm eating them or if I feel better because I know how healthy they are. But I have one 4-5 times a week for breakfast or lunch.

    Week: 20 miles (1/2 of what I did last week!)
    YTD: 432 (I just realized that this month will be a 100+ mile month!!! Holy cow!)

    ReplyDelete