Thursday, September 8, 2011

Super Mom


This is the BondiBand I wore yesterday morning. It never fails that when I wear this one, I end up needing those super powers for the day (like the time I came in from a run and immediately started cleaning up kid puke). Yesterday was no exception (well, minus the puke part).

I ran 4 miles (2 1600m repeats included) on the treadmill in the now not-so-hot-but-still-warm garage at 4:30 in the morning without music because the iPod was dead.

Then, I managed to get myself and the kids ready, including avoiding a major daughter meltdown over clothes...what fits, what doesn't, etc. I also unloaded the dishwasher and folded a load of laundry.

Off to school...luckily, not too much drama there.

4 p.m. I picked up the kids...no fights or tears about leaving for once! Those super powers must have been working their magic. Once home, I bathed both kids, got SB to do her homework, reloaded the dishwasher, folded and did some laundry, painted SB's nails, got both kids dressed and ready for church...all before Chad arrived at 5:30.

5:30 We went to our church's Wednesday night activities...a meal and Hang Time with the kids.

7:45 Home again. We got the kids ready for bed fairly easily and had time to read bedtime stories on our bed...one of my favorite things. I also got our lunches ready and got the kids to pick out their clothes for today. I'm proudest of the lunches though...

Ham, cheese, carrots, blueberries, grapes, tomatoes, and shark crackers
 
For the kids...ham, mini pepperoni, cheese, grapes...and blueberries for SB...
they both got applesauce and shark crackers and a drink

I was reminded of Proverbs 31 this morning. I decided I'd start there in reading my Bible again. That's the kind of woman I want to be. But I don't want to stress about doing it all, and that happens so often to me.

And then on the way to school, I heard this song "Everything You Do" by Steven Curtis Chapman, and it just reinforced this idea, that for me to be able to do it all, I have to do these things for the right reasons and with the right attitude.

Here are the lyrics that clicked with me...

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well, let me remind you it all matters just as long as you
Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

So, I know I can't be Super Mom on my own, and I'm getting better at focusing on what is most important...and that's helping it all fall into place...for now.

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear this. Too often I'm resentful of the (self-imposed) feeling that I have to be everything to everyone. Instead I need to remember why I do the things I do and WHO I'm doing them for. Maybe then I can start enjoying those little things again.

    ReplyDelete