Saturday, September 3, 2011

Putting the S in LSD

I would defintely say I put the "slow" in long slow distance today. And it wasn't even that long. I felt really frustrated at first. Actually, let's face it, I felt frustrated for most of the run and even when I was done. But now, I have a better perspective...surprising, considering this headache-induced brain fog I'm in.

My frustrations stem from just a couple of things: 1. I'm slow, and 2. I'm slow. Ok, that's not quite accurate. I also hurt. I'm pretty sure that's from going back to school. They replaced my carpet with tile, and it is killing my feet, knees, hips and back. Who would have thought such a small change could have that kind of impact?! I guess I should really make friends with my chiropractor again.

I did enjoy getting to run outside this morning. While the temperature wasn't what I'd call cool, it definitely felt better than it has in a while. We're looking at even cooler temperatures on Monday, and since we're off, I'll get to run then! Can't wait!

I just can't seem to regain any of the speed I lost back around May. I'm starting to think it correlates to the extra pounds I started carrying about that time as well. Very frustrating because they are very stubborn pounds. Eating healthy and running haven't helped. Even mixing it up with biking didn't help. I know strength training would probably help, but we know how that goes for me.

While I was frustrated this morning with the speed thing, I do realize that I am still out there running. There are a whole bunch of people that either can't do that or don't do that. And I feel lucky that I can get out there and run, both because I physically can and because I'm able to because of a wonderful husband and family that give me that time and support I need.

So, while the run itself may have been lackluster, I'm feeling good about running 5 miles this morning. My head may be happy with the run, but it is definitely hurting. I don't know if it's running related or sinus issues, but nothing is helping. I'm trying caffeine now (after trying Gatorade, water, salt, Tylenol, etc.). Any advice?

Mileage Report
Weekly: 14.1 miles (all running!)
YTD: 517.95 miles

I've got some blogging to catch up on, so stay tuned :)

2 comments:

  1. Way to think about it... in the Run Like a Mother book, it even talks about how you're doing more than 99% of the population because at least you got out there and ran. Right now, I'm so exhausted I don't even feel like getting out there... maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great! And to add to what Carrie said - you're also setting an example for your kids that even though its hard and sometimes you don't want to do it, you still do it because its what needs to be done. Sometimes the right thing isn't always the easy thing (paraphrasing Dumbledore...).

    Week: 15 miles
    YTD: 258 miles (closing in on 300!!!)

    ReplyDelete