Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hotter 'N Hell


Before we headed out
We did it! Today we rode 25 miles in the Hotter 'N Hell. Last year we did the 10K race, which is on a different course, so this was the first time for me to ride in the "real" race.

Chad works for the TV station that provides the live coverage for the beginning of the race, so we had to be out there around 5:30 (which beats him setting up at 2 like he's done in years past). We couldn't begin until they had gone off the air at 7:30, but we still weren't last. In fact, it was nice not to have all that chaos to battle at the beginning of the race.

It wasn't too hot to begin this morning, but it was definitely heating up quickly. There were some hills, and that was something we hadn't really practiced. Luckily, I have learned to shift gears now.

We stopped a couple of times to fill up on water. The most amazing part of the race is this...



The course takes you right through Shepard Air Force Base, and the airmen come out to cheer you on. It is absolutely amazing! My husband said it best when he said, "It's hard not to be motivated when these guys are cheering you on."

All in all, it was really a good ride!

After we'd caught up with Mom at the finish
My parents rode today as well. Unfortunately, Mom had a blowout, which she changed on her own. However, just a few yards down the rode, it blew again and she didn't have any way to fix it this time. She had to take a sag wagon back to the finish. I hate that this happened to her...especially when we didn't even have tools, tubes or air with us!

Dad rode the 100K! I know it was seriously hot by the time he finished, but I am so proud of him!

I'm liking this bike riding thing. It's very different from running, but it's a good change up. And I get to ride with my amazing hubby...can't get any better than that!

Mileage Report
Weekly: 9 miles running + 25 miles biking/2 = 21.5 miles for my count
YTD: 503.85 miles

I feel guilty counting my biking miles, even half the way I do, in my running total challenge. Eh, well...it's still miles I'm putting in. And I'm now over 500 miles for the year!!!

3 comments:

  1. So proud of y'all :) and that is one great pic of you guys. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great ride! So proud of you! I I love that you rode through the base. Sounds awesome!

    Week: 17 miles
    YTD: 241 miles (already passed my monthly goal of 60 miles because of a few runs that were longer than my schedule and an extra "stress" run).

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohooo! congrats to you...sorry about your Mom's troubles with the race.

    Great pics from the fun day of exercise :)

    ReplyDelete